Sony Ericsson had announced that there are plans to bring an upgrade to Android Gingerbread for the XperiaTM X10 to generic trade kits end Q2 / early Q3 2011.
Xperia X10 mini, mini pro and X8 however, will not be upgraded.
The changes that you can expect from the upgrade:
- The current plan is that the XperiaTM X10 will get the Android standard Camera user interface and therefore features like e.g. face recognition, smile shutter etc will be lost.
- Moxier is replaced by the gingerbread native EAS functionality.
- Mediascape is being replaced by the media experience widgets and music player included in our new 2011 products.
- DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process.
- The Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client is not supported in the Gingerbread version and will therefore be lost.
- Support for bi-directional languages will be reduced compared to the latest version of the 2.1 version of the XperiaTM X10.
However, all personal content and settings stored in the phone will be lost in the process. As the Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client will not be included in the Gingerbread version, therefore it is recommend using a 3rd party backup application if you don’t have your data stored in other places than your phone. Content stored on memory card is not affected by the upgrade, except DRM protected content since keys will be lost.
The upgrade will only be available through our PC-based upgrade clients. I.e. it cannot be done over the air.